Wednesday 29 December 2010

Storyboard:- Alternative Opening








These are some of the storyboard drawings I did for the original opening scene for my animation. I haven't included any annotation but the basic idea is you have this old guy sitting on porch with the sun beating down on him. He's looking around the barren wasteland and trying to keep cool in the midday sun. He decides to have a little nap only to see this ominous figure appear from nowhere. The figure reaches towards the old man, who understandably freaks out. Instead of hurting the guy the stranger reaches past him and grabs a wanted poster that's pinned up behind him which is supposed to introduce the main antagonist and set up the big gun fight at the end.

It became apparent as I continued with the storyboard that the animation was running too long and I was therefore obliged to redo the opening scene completely which is a pity as I was quite pleased how it came out. I was trying to emulate the long build up in the opening scene from Sergio Leone's "Once Upon A Time In The West" but sadly it would have been too much work. The new version is much shorter and doesn't include any real set up but rather just features the stranger walking through the desert with the famous Monument Valley style background. I'll be posting the finished storyboard and animatic shortly so you can see which version is best :)

No comments:

Post a Comment